CHASE Network - Periodical Literature - Call for papers
Call for Papers:
Friday 13th of May 2016, Thomas Paine Study Centre, University of East Anglia
Periodicals take many forms, including essays, newspapers, magazines, and serialized novels. This conference aims to bring together scholars studying periodical literature from its beginnings to the present. Proposals on periodicals written in languages other than English are welcome and encouraged. Both faculty and postgraduate students in the CHASE consortium are warmly encouraged to send proposals.
Topics might include, but are not limited to:
- How periodicals were compiled, edited, produced, sold, circulated, and read.
- The formal, visual, and typographical characteristics of periodicals.
- How periodicals address and seek to mould their readerships.
- Women's involvement in the production and consumption of periodicals.
- The application of "distant reading" methodologies to periodical literature
- How periodical literature responds to and represents historical changes and crises.
We welcome 200 word abstracts for 20 minute papers by the 31st March 2016.