Brief Encounters - Launch Party
Brief Encounters Issue 2 Launch
Wednesday 7 February |The Royal Institution of Great Britain (map)
To celebrate the second issue of Brief Encounters open-access postgraduate journal, the journal board and CHASE will be presenting two events at The Royal Institution of Great Britain. Please indicate the sessions that you would like to join using the form below.
1430-1600 The Future of Scholarly Communications
Until recently, a stable ecosystem of academia, publishers and libraries existed that enabled the dissemination of scholarly research. That ecosystem has been disrupted by enormous changes in technology, new publishing models, and the globalisation of education.
This CHASE panel discussion will explore the new environment, attempting to predict future trends, and offering practical pointers for PhD students and early career researchers, as well as considering the ethics of publishing in the 21st century.
The panel members will be:
- David Avital, senior publisher for literary and classics studies, Bloomsbury Academic
- Martin Eve, Professor of Literature, Technology and Publishing, Birkbeck and founder of the Open Library of the Humanities
- Jane Harvell, Interim Librarian, University of Sussex
- Sarah Kember, Professor of New Technologies of Communication, Goldsmiths and Director of Goldsmiths Press
- Jade Lee, SOAS PhD candidate and Senior Editor, Brief Encounters
- Simon Everett, University of Essex PhD candidate and founder of Muscaliet Press
The panel chair will be Julie Anderson, Reader in History, University of Kent
The session will be followed by a launch event for Brief Encounters Issue 2.
1630-1930 Brief Encounters issue 2 launch
Presentations to showcase of a number of articles featured in issue 2 of Brief Encounters.
Followed by drinks and canapés